© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Henry Meyer, published by Henry Colburn, after Richard Carruthers Click on the links below to find out more
stipple engraving, published 1 February 1819
8 7/8 in. x 5 1/2 in. (225 mm x 140 mm)
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
- Richard Carruthers (1792-1876). Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Henry Colburn (1784 or 1785-1855), Publisher. Artist associated with 25 portraits.
- Henry Meyer (1782?-1847), Portrait painter and engraver. Artist associated with 278 portraits.
- NPG D8807: William Wordsworth (from same plate)
- NPG D8808: William Wordsworth (from same plate)
Peterloo Massacre leaves eleven dead and four hundred wounded as crowds, gathered to hear radical Henry Hunt call for reform of the House of Commons, are forcibly dispersed. Six Acts are passed, stiffening the 1795 Treason Act and introducing a tax on the periodical press which was viewed as seditious.
Art and science
Percy Bysshe Shelley writes Ode to the West Wind
during a year of extraordinary creativity in which he also finishes Prometheus Unbound
.Lord Byron publishes his tour-de-force Don Juan
; one man's mock-epic odyssey through a world without fixed principles. First ship with a steam engine crosses the Atlantic in twenty-eight days.
Thomas Jefferson establishes the University of Virginia.Royal Navy anti-slave squadron is set up to patrol the West African coastline.French physician Rene Laennac invents the stethoscope.