© National Portrait Gallery, London
Johan Joseph Zoffany
by William Daniell, after George Dance Click on the links below to find out more
soft-ground etching, published 2 April 1814 (1 June 1793)
10 5/8 in. x 7 7/8 in. (270 mm x 200 mm) plate size; 12 in. x 8 1/4 in. (305 mm x 210 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
- Johan Joseph Zoffany (1733-1810), Painter of portraits and conversation pieces. Sitter associated with 11 portraits, Artist associated with 46 portraits.
- George Dance (1741-1825), Architect and portrait draughtsman. Artist associated with 322 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- William Daniell (1769-1837), Landscape painter and engraver. Artist associated with 288 portraits.
- NPG D8866: Johan Joseph Zoffany (from same plate)
- NPG D12175: Johan Joseph Zoffany (from same plate)
- NPG D19737: Johan Joseph Zoffany (from same plate)
Princess Caroline leaves England for a lengthy series of travels in Europe and the Middle East. Scandalous gossip promptly surrounds her relationship with her Italian valet, Count Bartholomew Bergami.George, Prince Regent, hosts a visit of the victorious allies to England with spectacular celebrations and fireworks at Carlton House.
Art and science
John Soane completes the construction of Dulwich Picture Gallery.First steam printing machine in the world is used to publish The Times
.New Royal Mint opens at Tower Hill with improved precision machinery.Grand Western Canal completed from Loudwell to Tiverton.
Paris falls under allied attack; Napoleon sent into exile on Elba.Force of British veterans lands at Chesapeake Bay, defeats Americans at Bladensburg and burns parts of Washington DC.Peace treaty signed with Americans in Ghent. General Pakenham is killed leading attack on New Orleans before news of the peace reaches America.