© National Portrait Gallery, London
'A shot at the min....r for a call of the House'
by James Sayers, published by Thomas Cornell Click on the links below to find out more
etching, published 6 February 1787
7 in. x 9 7/8 in. (177 mm x 252 mm) plate size; 7 3/8 in. x 10 5/8 in. (188 mm x 271 mm) paper size
- Edmund Burke (1729 or 1730-1797), Statesman. Sitter associated with 103 portraits.
- Lord John Cavendish (1732-1796), Politician; MP for several constituencies. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 299 portraits.
- Thomas Cornell (active 1780-1792). Artist associated with 59 portraits.
- James Sayers (1748-1823), Artist. Artist associated with 191 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Social reformers Granville Sharp and Thomas Clarkson found the Society for Effecting the Abolition of the Slave Trade in London with support from John Wesley, Josiah Wedgwood and others.George III shows first signs of mental instability in November.
Art and science
Painter Robert Barker takes out a patent on the Panorama..Astronomer William Herschel discovers the two moons of Uranus, Titania and Oberon. The original Lord's Cricket Ground holds its first cricket match.
Captain William Bligh sets sail for Tahiti on The Bounty
.First performance of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Don Giovanni
at the National Theatre, Prague.A British ship lands a party of freed slaves as the first modern settlers in Sierra Leone.Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth with eleven ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.Bahamas become a British colony.