1 portrait of Oscar Wilde
after Sir Henry Maximilian ('Max') Beerbohm
relief halftone, (1894)
13 1/4 in. x 8 1/2 in. (336 mm x 216 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir Henry Maximilian ('Max') Beerbohm (1872-1956), Writer and caricaturist. Artist associated with 28 portraits, Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
Events of 1894back to top
Current affairsFollowing Gladstone's resignation, Queen Victoria calls on the Liberal MP Archibald Primrose, the 5th Earl of Rosebery to become Prime Minister, a position he reluctantly accepts. His government is largely unsuccessful as the Tory-dominated House of Lords stop the whole of the Liberal's domestic legislation, and his foreign policy plans are defeated by internal Liberal disagreements.
Art and scienceThe Prince of Wales opens Tower Bridge, built over the Thames to improve access to the growing commercial district of the East End. The bridge was constructed from two bascules, or leaves, which could be raised to allow ships to pass underneath. Rudyard Kipling's hugely popular collection of children's stories, The Jungle Book, are published. The stories, based on Kipling's own experiences in India, have been adapted many times.
InternationalThe arrest and court-martial of Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a Jewish artillery officer, opens up divisions in France over anti-semitism continuing until Dreyfus's exoneration in 1906. The French President Sadi Carnot is assassinated by an Italian anarchist in Lyon. Nicholas II becomes Tsar of Russia following the death of Alexander III. Japan and China go to war over control of Korea, with the more modern Japanese army winning an easy victory.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Companion Series: Oscar Wilde and his Circle
- Oscar Wilde Scarf
- Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and his legacy - 1860 - 1960
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Oscar Wilde greetings card
- Oscar Wilde Fridge Magnet
- Oscar Wilde by Napolean Sarony Mini-print
- Oscar Wilde Decoration
- The Wit of Wilde Magnetic Quotations Set
- Oscar Wilde Quote Mini-print
- Oscar Wilde Quote Mug
- Oscar Wilde Quotes Coaster