1 portrait of Sir William Orpen
by Howard Coster
half-plate film negative, 1927
Transferred from Central Office of Information, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir William Orpen (1878-1931), Painter, Royal Acadamian. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist associated with 29 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9346 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, London)
Events of 1927back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, acknowledging the full independence of the Irish Free State, led at the time by W.T. Cosgrave, the the first President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State.
Art and scienceThe BBC gains its Royal Charter making it a public corporation and a public service broadcaster accountable to its audience. John Reith became the first Director General with the directive to 'inform, educate and entertain.'
InternationalStalin expels Leon Trotsky from the Soviet Communist Party, giving himself greater control of the party and country by ousting opposition elements.
Exhibitions and displays
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Collected Archives - C-D
- Learn more
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen