10 of 17 portraits of Rosita Forbes
by Howard Coster
10 x 8 inch film negative, 1934
Transferred from Central Office of Information, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- (Joan) Rosita Forbes (Mrs Arthur T. McGrath) (1890-1967), Traveller and writer. Sitter in 17 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9348 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1934back to top
Current affairsSir Stafford Cripps represents the miners of Gresford Colliery in Wrexham at an inquiry into the recent gas explosion and fire which killed 263 miners, and three rescue workers in one of the worst mining disasters in British history.
Art and sciencePercy Shaw invents 'Cat's eyes'. The development of road reflectors increased safety on the roads at night and proved to be particularly useful during the wartime blackout. They are still used today.
Dylan Thomas published his first volume of poetry, 18 Poems.
InternationalStalin and Hitler consolidate dictatorial power by 'purging' their opponents. In the Soviet Union, members of the Communist Party and particular sectors of society such as the intelligentsia were targeted in the 'Great Purge', while in Germany Hitler murdered hundreds of potential opponents in the SA during the 'Night of the Long Knives'.
Thousands in the USA are forced to flee their homes to escape the Dust Bowl storms.
Exhibitions and displays
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Collected Archives - C-D
- Learn more
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen