1 portrait of Barbara Hepworth
by Cornel Lucas
bromide print, 1963
15 in. x 11 7/8 in. (381 mm x 302 mm) overall
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975), Sculptor; second wife of Ben Nicholson. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Cornel Lucas (1920-2012), Photographer. Artist of 68 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1963back to top
Current affairsThe Secretary of State for War, John Profumo is found to have lied to the House of Commons when he denied having an affair with the showgirl, Christine Keeler. The Profumo Affair was a public scandal for the Conservative party, and ultimately contributed to the resignation of Harold Macmillan.
Art and scienceDoctor Who is first broadcast on the BBC with William Hartnell playing the Doctor. This long running science fiction series about an alien Time Lord who travels through time and space in his police-box-shaped Tardis has been watched by generations of viewers (often from behind the back of the sofa), and features imaginative, but traditionally low-budget, special effects, innovative electronic music, and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks.
InternationalJohn F. Kennedy is assassinated in Texas. The arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald for his murder did not prevent a score of conspiracy theories involving Cuba, the CIA, the KGB, and the Mafia among others.Martin Luther King delivers his 'I have a dream' speech, marking an important moment in the civil rights movement in America and helping to secure him the Nobel Peace Prize' in 1964.
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Priaulx Rainier
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> T.S. Eliot
- Only Connect - installation video
- Cornel Lucas: Shooting Stars
- British Blondes
- Hollywood Highlights: The work of Cornel Lucas
- Portraits of Alec Guinness