1 portrait of Sylvia Pankhurst
by Howard Coster
half-plate film negative, 1938
Transferred from Central Office of Information, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sylvia Pankhurst (1882-1960), Militant suffragette; daughter of Emmeline Pankhurst. Sitter in 19 portraits, Artist of 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9344 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1938back to top
Current affairsBritain pursues its policy of appeasement. At the Munich Agreement, Britain, France and Italy agreed to allow Hitler to seize the Sudetenland area of Czechoslovakia. The agreement was seen at the time as a triumph for peace, with Neville Chamberlain returning home brandishing the paper agreement and saying 'peace for our time.' Within six months Germany had occupied the rest of Czechoslovakia.
Art and scienceGraham Greene publishes Brighton Rock. The novel follows the decent of Pinky, a teenage gang leader in Brighton's criminal underworld. The book examines the criminal mind and explores the themes of morality and sin - recurrent concerns for the Roman Catholic Author. Glasgow hosts the Empire Exhibition; an £11 million celebration of the British Empire visited by 13 million people.
InternationalIn its pursuit of 'Lebensraum' (living space), Germany annexes Austria and parts of Czechoslovakia with little opposition from the League of Nations. At home, the Nazis continued their escalating persecution of the Jews with 'Kristallnach' (the Night of Broken Glass), attacking Jewish homes, shops, businesses and synagogues, and taking Jewish men to concentration camps.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Collected Archives - C-D
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- A Celebration of Shakespeare
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- WebQuest: Votes For Women