1 portrait of James Abbe
by Howard Coster
half-plate film negative, 1933
Transferred from Central Office of Information, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- James Abbe (1883-1973), American photographer. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 12 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9344 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1933back to top
Current affairsSir Norman Angell is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Angell was recognised for his book, Europe's Optical Illusion (or The Great Illusion) first published in 1910 and updated in 1933, which argued that war between modern powers was futile as neither the looser or victor would gain economically from it.
Art and scienceBritish Art embraces abstraction with the establishment of 'Unit 1', the first group of British Artists dedicated to producing abstract art. The critic Herbert Read formed the group by bringing together the artists Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore, Paul Nash and the architect, Wells Coates.The Duveen Wing extension at the National Portrait Gallery is opened by King George V.
InternationalThe Nazi party comes to power in Germany as part of a coalition government with Hitler as Chancellor. Over the next year, the party consolidated its position through the Enabling Act (allowing them to pass legislation without the support of the coalition), by banning and purging opposition, and by making Hitler Führer in 1934: granting him the combined powers of Chancellor and President.
Exhibitions and displays
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Collected Archives - C-D
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- A Celebration of Shakespeare
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- The Royal Ballet at 75