1 portrait of Maud Allan
by Bassano Ltd
bromide print, 1913
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
This portraitback to top
This photograph shows Allan in a period between the hysteria of 'Salomania' and the disastrous libel case which, like that of Wilde, would destroy her career. Another pose taken at the same time as this photograph appeared in The Sketch Supplement, 22 October 1913.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 25 Old Bond Street , London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 1913back to top
Current affairsThe Suffragette, Emily Davison dies after stepping out in front of the King's horse as a protest at the Epsom Derby. In the same year the Liberal government passed the Cat and Mouse Act allowing them to release and re-arrest Suffragettes who went on hunger strike while in prison. Davidson, herself, had been on hunger strike and was force-fed while detained at Holloway Prison.
Art and scienceStravinsky's ballet The Rite of Spring comes to London following its premier at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in Paris. Audiences were shocked by Stravinsky's rhythmic and dissonant musical score and by the violent jerky dancing of Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, which were intended to represent pagan ritual.
InternationalHenry Ford introduces the assembly line at the Ford Motor Company, rapidly increasing the rate at which the famous Model T could be manufactured, leading to massive growth in the motorcar industry and demonstrating to other industries the efficiency of mass production.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Elaine Vernon and Danny Fer by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Marjorie Dolman and Dorothy Dolman by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ivy Shilling and Fred Hobson Leslie by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ethel Walters by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ellaline Terriss, Lady Hicks by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Maud Allan greetings card
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print