Royal group including George V and Queen Mary
11 of 11 portraits of Prince Waldemar of Denmark
Royal group including George V and Queen Mary
by Bassano Ltd
12 x 10 inch glass negative, 1934
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Queen Alexandrine of Denmark (née Crown Princess Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin) (1879-1952), Consort of King Christian X of Denmark. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Christian X, King of Denmark (1870-1947), Reigned 1912-47. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
- Queen Elizabeth II (1926-), Queen regnant. Sitter associated with 909 portraits.
- King George V (1865-1936), Reigned 1910-36. Sitter in 440 portraits.
- George II, King of Greece (1890-1947), Reigned 1922-24 and 1935-47. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Prince George of Greece, Foreign dignitary. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902-1942), Naval and air force officer; son of King George V. Sitter in 162 portraits.
- Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent (1906-1968), Wife of Prince George, Duke of Kent; daughter of Prince and Princess Nicholas of Greece and of Denmark. Sitter in 110 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Queen Mary (1867-1953), Queen consort of King George V. Sitter in 368 portraits.
- Maud, Queen of Norway (1869-1938), Queen consort of King Haakon VII; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 92 portraits.
- Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark (1872-1938), Foreign dignitary; son of George I, King of Greece and father of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Princess Nicholas of Greece (1882-1957), Foreign dignitary. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Prince Paul of Yugoslavia (1893-1977), Prince-Regent. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Princess Paul of Yugoslavia (Princess Olga of Greece) (1903-1997), Wife of Paul, Regent of Yugoslavia. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Prince Waldemar of Denmark (1858-1939), Naval officer; son of Christian IX, King of Denmark; brother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Lady Mary Ilona Margaret Whitley (née Cambridge) (1924-1999), Wife of Peter Whitley; daughter of 2nd Marquess of Cambridge. Sitter in 46 portraits.
Events of 1934back to top
Current affairsSir Stafford Cripps represents the miners of Gresford Colliery in Wrexham at an inquiry into the recent gas explosion and fire which killed 263 miners, and three rescue workers in one of the worst mining disasters in British history.
Art and sciencePercy Shaw invents 'Cat's eyes'. The development of road reflectors increased safety on the roads at night and proved to be particularly useful during the wartime blackout. They are still used today.Dylan Thomas published his first volume of poetry, 18 Poems.
InternationalStalin and Hitler consolidate dictatorial power by 'purging' their opponents. In the Soviet Union, members of the Communist Party and particular sectors of society such as the intelligentsia were targeted in the 'Great Purge', while in Germany Hitler murdered hundreds of potential opponents in the SA during the 'Night of the Long Knives'.Thousands in the USA are forced to flee their homes to escape the Dust Bowl storms.
Exhibitions and displays
- The Face of Monarchy
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Terry O'Neill: Celebrity
- Yousuf Karsh
- My Favourite Portrait by Hugo Vickers
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Gaiety Girls
- British Blondes
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- A Celebration of Shakespeare
- Athletes and Olympians
- Born in 1856
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits (paperback)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Elaine Vernon and Danny Fer by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Marjorie Dolman and Dorothy Dolman by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ivy Shilling and Fred Hobson Leslie by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ethel Walters by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ellaline Terriss, Lady Hicks by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print
- Kings and Queens of England Mug