Royal group including George V and Queen Mary
1 portrait of Princess Elena of Greece and Denmark (née Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia)
Royal group including George V and Queen Mary
by Bassano Ltd
12 x 10 inch glass negative, 1934
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Queen Alexandrine of Denmark (née Crown Princess Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin) (1879-1952), Consort of King Christian X of Denmark. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Christian X, King of Denmark (1870-1947), Reigned 1912-47. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
- Princess Elena of Greece and Denmark (née Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia) (1882-1957), Wife of Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark; daughter of Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich of Russia; mother of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Queen Elizabeth II (1926-), Queen regnant. Sitter associated with 918 portraits.
- King George V (1865-1936), Reigned 1910-36. Sitter in 473 portraits.
- George II, King of Greece (1890-1947), Reigned 1922-24 and 1935-47. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Prince George of Greece, Foreign dignitary. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902-1942), Naval and air force officer; son of King George V. Sitter in 165 portraits.
- Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent (1906-1968), Wife of Prince George, Duke of Kent; daughter of Prince and Princess Nicholas of Greece and of Denmark. Sitter in 111 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Queen Mary (1867-1953), Queen consort of King George V. Sitter in 394 portraits.
- Maud, Queen of Norway (1869-1938), Queen consort of King Haakon VII; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 92 portraits.
- Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark (1872-1938), Foreign dignitary; son of George I, King of Greece and father of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Prince Paul of Yugoslavia (1893-1977), Prince-Regent. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Princess Paul of Yugoslavia (Princess Olga of Greece) (1903-1997), Wife of Paul, Regent of Yugoslavia. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Prince Waldemar of Denmark (1858-1939), Naval officer; son of Christian IX, King of Denmark; brother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Lady Mary Ilona Margaret Whitley (née Cambridge) (1924-1999), Wife of Peter Whitley; daughter of 2nd Marquess of Cambridge. Sitter in 48 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1934back to top
Current affairsSir Stafford Cripps represents the miners of Gresford Colliery in Wrexham at an inquiry into the recent gas explosion and fire which killed 263 miners, and three rescue workers in one of the worst mining disasters in British history.
Art and sciencePercy Shaw invents 'Cat's eyes'. The development of road reflectors increased safety on the roads at night and proved to be particularly useful during the wartime blackout. They are still used today.Dylan Thomas published his first volume of poetry, 18 Poems.
InternationalStalin and Hitler consolidate dictatorial power by 'purging' their opponents. In the Soviet Union, members of the Communist Party and particular sectors of society such as the intelligentsia were targeted in the 'Great Purge', while in Germany Hitler murdered hundreds of potential opponents in the SA during the 'Night of the Long Knives'.Thousands in the USA are forced to flee their homes to escape the Dust Bowl storms.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- The Face of Monarchy
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Terry O'Neill: Celebrity
- Yousuf Karsh
- My Favourite Portrait by Hugo Vickers
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Gaiety Girls
- British Blondes
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Athletes and Olympians
- Born in 1856
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Monarchs Magnetic Set
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Maurice and Walton by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Elaine Vernon and Danny Fer by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Marjorie Dolman and Dorothy Dolman by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ivy Shilling and Fred Hobson Leslie by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ethel Walters by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ellaline Terriss, Lady Hicks by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust