Royal Family group
1 portrait of Princess Elena of Greece and Denmark (née Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia)
Royal Family group
by Bassano Ltd
12 x 10 inch glass plate negative, 29 November 1934
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Princess Elena of Greece and Denmark (née Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia) (1882-1957), Wife of Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark; daughter of Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich of Russia; mother of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Queen Elizabeth II (1926-), Queen regnant. Sitter associated with 918 portraits.
- King George V (1865-1936), Reigned 1910-36. Sitter in 473 portraits.
- Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902-1942), Naval and air force officer; son of King George V. Sitter in 165 portraits.
- Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent (1906-1968), Wife of Prince George, Duke of Kent; daughter of Prince and Princess Nicholas of Greece and of Denmark. Sitter in 111 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Queen Mary (1867-1953), Queen consort of King George V. Sitter in 394 portraits.
- Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark (1872-1938), Foreign dignitary; son of George I, King of Greece and father of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Lady Mary Ilona Margaret Whitley (née Cambridge) (1924-1999), Wife of Peter Whitley; daughter of 2nd Marquess of Cambridge. Sitter in 48 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Throne Room, Buckingham Palace, London)
Events of 1934back to top
Current affairsSir Stafford Cripps represents the miners of Gresford Colliery in Wrexham at an inquiry into the recent gas explosion and fire which killed 263 miners, and three rescue workers in one of the worst mining disasters in British history.
Art and sciencePercy Shaw invents 'Cat's eyes'. The development of road reflectors increased safety on the roads at night and proved to be particularly useful during the wartime blackout. They are still used today.Dylan Thomas published his first volume of poetry, 18 Poems.
InternationalStalin and Hitler consolidate dictatorial power by 'purging' their opponents. In the Soviet Union, members of the Communist Party and particular sectors of society such as the intelligentsia were targeted in the 'Great Purge', while in Germany Hitler murdered hundreds of potential opponents in the SA during the 'Night of the Long Knives'.Thousands in the USA are forced to flee their homes to escape the Dust Bowl storms.
- The Face of Monarchy
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Terry O'Neill: Celebrity
- Yousuf Karsh
- My Favourite Portrait by Hugo Vickers
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Gaiety Girls
- British Blondes
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Athletes and Olympians
- Born in 1856