by Ida Kar
vintage bromide print, 1956
9 3/4 in. x 11 7/4 in. (247 mm x 299 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Laurence Edward Alan ('Laurie') Lee (1914-1997), Poet and prose writer. Sitter in 15 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1508 portraits, Sitter in 137 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Kar photographed Lee at his Chelsea flat a year after the publication of A Rose for Winter (1955), an account of a period spent in Spain with his wife Kathy Polge. The following year, the Hogarth Press paid Lee a £500 advance for his most acclaimed autobiographical work,
Cider with Rosie (1959).
- Weekend Workshop: The Quest for Reality: Giacometti & Uglow
From 14 November, 11:00
- Sunday Session: Abandoning the Real
1 November, 13:00
- Lecture: Giacometti: Pure Presence
12 November, 19:00
- Lecture: Inside Giacometti’s Studio
22 October, 19:00