3 of 17 portraits of Walter Crane
by Elliott & Fry
albumen cabinet card, circa 1875
5 3/4 in. x 4 in. (146 mm x 103 mm)
Given by Royal Institute of British Architects: London: UK, 1940
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Walter Crane (1845-1915), Illustrator, designer, painter and socialist. Sitter in 17 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographers' studio, 55 Baker Street, 7 Gloucester Terrace, London)
Events of 1875back to top
Current affairsSamuel Plimsoll, a back-bench Liberal MP, campaigns for measures to prevent the practice of overloading unseaworthy vessels and claiming insurance. The Plimsoll Line is established; a line drawn on ships, it denotes the maximum legal load a cargo ship is allowed to carry.The Public Health Act, the work of Richard A. Cross, sets down in detail the responsibilities of local authorities in terms of public health.
Art and scienceAnthony Trollope's masterpiece The Way We Live Now is published after serialisation. Containing over 100 chapters, the complex plot, following the fortunes of sham financier Augustus Melmotte, tackles the commercial, political and moral hypocrisy of the age.
InternationalDisraeli purchases nearly half the total shares in the Suez Canal Company from the bankrupt Egyptian Khedive, Ismail Pasha, securing a controlling interest in the trading route. Since Parliament was not in session at the time, Disraeli borrowed £4 million from the banking family Rothschilds, attracting much criticism from Parliamentary opponents, although he won popularity from the Queen and the public.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Black Chronicles: Photographic Portraits 1862 – 1948
Until 11 December
- Wise, Constant and Courageous: Millicent Garrett Fawcett
Until 4 September
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians