1 portrait of Audrey Hepburn
by Cecil Beaton
bromide print on white card mount, 1960
7 1/8 in. x 7 7/8 in. (180 mm x 185 mm)
Given by Sir Cecil Beaton, 1968
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1087 portraits, Sitter associated with 353 portraits.
Events of 1960back to top
Current affairsPrince Andrew is born, the third child of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip.The Contraceptive Pill is introduced in England, dramatically changing the nation's approach to sex and relationships, and significantly contributing to the 1960s culture of liberation.
Art and sciencePenguin books defend D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover against charges of obscenity by demonstrating that the novel was of literary merit. The 'not guilty' verdict was seen as a victory for free speech and marked the beginning if a new era of liberalism.The satirical review Beyond the Fringe launches the careers of Alan Bennett, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and Jonathan Miller.
InternationalHarold Macmillan delivers his 'wind of change' speech to the South African Parliament in Cape Town, announcing Britain's decision to grant independence to many of her colonies. The speech recognised the emergence of African nationalism, and criticised the policy of Apartheid in South Africa.
Related shop items
- Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Icon Catalogue (paperback)
- Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Icon Catalogue (hardcover)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed
- Irving Penn Portraits
- Audrey Hepburn Pocket Mirror
- Audrey Hepburn Watch
- Audrey Hepburn Cushion
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print
- Audrey Hepburn Fridge Magnet
- Audrey Hepburn Quote Canvas Tote Bag
- Audrey Hepburn Quote Coaster
- Audrey Hepburn by Sir Cecil Beaton Postcards
- Film Stars Postcard Pack