6 of 46 portraits of Audrey Hepburn
by Cecil Beaton
bromide print, March 1954
10 1/8 in. x 9 1/4 in. (256 mm x 234 mm)
Accepted in lieu of tax by H.M. Government and allocated to the Gallery, 1991
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1088 portraits, Sitter associated with 354 portraits.
Events of 1954back to top
Current affairsRoger Bannister runs the four-minute mile. Bannister was the first man to achieve the 'miracle mile', a feat that was thought by some to be impossible, beating his rival, the Australian John Landy, to the record. Bannister went on to a career as a distinguished neurologist.Food rationing ends in Britain.
Art and scienceJ.R.R. Tolkien publishes the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. Tolkien was an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language and literature and drew on his scholarly interests in history, language and mythology to create the fictional land of Middle Earth where the books are set.Williams Golding publishes, Lord of the Flies.
InternationalThe South East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO) is established in Bangkok. This international defence organisation was established as part of the 'containment' policy of limiting the influence of communism. SEATO was, however, found to be ineffective as the member organisations failed to agree on combined action; it was disbanded in 1977.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October 2017
Related shop items
- Film Stars Postcard Pack
- Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Icon Catalogue (paperback)
- Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Icon Catalogue (hardcover)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed
- Irving Penn Portraits
- Audrey Hepburn Pocket Mirror
- Audrey Hepburn Cushion
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print
- Audrey Hepburn Fridge Magnet
- Audrey Hepburn Watch
- Audrey Hepburn Quote Canvas Tote Bag
- Audrey Hepburn by Sir Cecil Beaton Postcards