1 portrait of Paul McCartney
by Janet Macoska
selenium-toned bromide fibre print, 24 August 1989
14 in. x 17 7/8 in. (355 mm x 454 mm)
Given by Janet Macoska, 1994
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir (James) Paul McCartney (1942-), Musician and member of The Beatles and Wings. Sitter in 55 portraits.
Events of 1989back to top
Current affairs96 people are crushed to death at the Hillsborough football stadium in Sheffield. The accident took place when a swarm of Liverpool fans were all let into the stadium at once. Supporters and police had no idea that the incoming crowds were crushing people against a fence used to prevent pitch-invasions. Following the Taylor Report into the incident standing terraces and fences between fans and pitch were banned.
Art and scienceFollowing the publication of Anglo-Indian writer Salman Rushdie's novel The Satanic Verses in 1988, the leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, announces that the book is 'blasphemous against Islam' and places a fatwah (death sentence) on Rushdie, who is forced into hiding for several years.
InternationalThe Berlin Wall is dismantled, reunifying East and West Germany and symbolising the end of the Cold War. Following a decision to allow East Berliners to cross the border with valid visas, crowds swarmed the border crossings. Guards soon gave up trying to stop them, and the physical dismantlement of the wall soon began.
Approximately 2,000 Chinese demonstrators are massacred in Tiananmen Square while protesting against the government.
- Portrait of the Day: Paul McCartney: 'Sargent Pepper 50 year anniversary'
30 June, 12:30
- Live Music: Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
30 June, 18:30
- Live Music: The BRIT School
7 July, 18:30
- Live Music: Investec Opera Holland Park: Regency Rossini
14 July, 18:30
- Live Music: Melange
21 July, 18:30
- Live Music: Fontane Liang
28 July, 18:30
- Live Music: Cevanne Horrocks-Hopayian
25 August, 18:30