1 portrait of Audrey Hepburn
by Norman Parkinson
bromide fibre print, 23 June 1955
11 1/2 in. x 11 3/8 in. (293 mm x 290 mm)
Given by Norman Parkinson, 1981 in conjunction with the NPG exhibition 'Norman Parkinson: 50 Years of Portraits and Fashion'
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Norman Parkinson (1913-1990), Photographer. Artist of 241 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Parkinson first photographed Hepburn in Gigi in New York and here photographed her on location in Italy during the filming of King Vidor's War and Peace (1956), an adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's novel directed by King Vidor in which Hepburn played Natasha and her husband Mel Ferrer (who she married the previous year) played Prince Andrei.
Events of 1955back to top
Current affairsRobert Anthony Eden becomes prime minister. In May 1955 Winston Churchill resigned due to ill health. His successor proved to be a similarly popular leader, winning an increased majority at the general election that year. Eden's popularity was due to a combination of his long wartime service, good looks and charm.
Art and scienceMary Quant introduces the 'Chelsea Look' with her Bazaar boutique. In the 1960s Quant was a major contributor to 'swinging London' introducing some of the seminal items of 1960s fashion: the miniskirt, hot pants, paint-box make-up and plastic raincoats.
InternationalWest Germany joins NATO, prompting the East European Communist counties to respond by forming the Warsaw Pact. The signatories of the Warsaw Pact pledged to defend each other if any member was attacked. This development was a major event in the Cold War as it firmly established the East and West as opposing military powers.
Related shop items
- Audrey Hepburn Exhibition Poster
- Audrey Hepburn Quote Mini-print
- Audrey Hepburn Quote Fridge Magnet
- Audrey Hepburn Quote Coaster
- Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Icon Catalogue (paperback)
- Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Icon Catalogue (hardcover)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Audrey Hepburn Quote Canvas Tote Bag
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- Audrey Hepburn Pocket Mirror
- Audrey Hepburn Watch
- Audrey Hepburn Cushion
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print
- Audrey Hepburn Fridge Magnet
- Audrey Hepburn by Sir Cecil Beaton Postcards
- Film Stars Postcard Pack