1 portrait of Robert Browning
by Elliott & Fry
albumen cabinet card, 1880-1884
5 3/4 x 4 1/8 in. 147 mm x 105 mm
Given by unknown source, 1973
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Robert Browning (1812-1889), Poet; husband of Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Sitter in 51 portraits.
Events of 1880back to top
Current affairsThe Liberals defeat the Conservatives, and Gladstone becomes Prime Minister for the second time, taking over from Disraeli, who retires from politics.The MP for Northampton and atheist Charles Bradlaugh, refuses to swear on the Bible and so forfeits his right to take his seat. Despite having the support of Gladstone and J.S Mill, it takes six years before he can take his seat, after which he pushes through a new Oaths Act (1888).
Art and scienceThomas Huxley delivers his address 'Science and Culture' at the opening of Josiah Mason's science college in Birmingham (published the following year). Huxley argues that the study of modern literature, combined with knowledge of science, should be promoted in education above classical literature, echoing the claim made by the poet and critic Matthew Arnold. Huxley, an early advocate of 'Darwinism', did much to popularise evolutionary theory.
InternationalBuenos Aires finally becomes the permanent capital of Argentina, following sixty years of political debates around the issue. The city was federalised, politically separated from the Buenos Aires Province, and placed under direct control of the national government. Despite allegations of vote buying, Cecil Rhodes is elected member of parliament for Barkly West in the Cape Colony, marking the start of his political career in South Africa.
Exhibitions and displays
- Public and Private: Winston Churchill in Photographs
Until 5 June
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 5 June
- Wise, Constant and Courageous: Millicent Garrett Fawcett
Until 4 September
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians