2 of 42 portraits of Michael Caine
by David Bailey
bromide print, May 1965
16 1/8 in. x 16 in. (409 mm x 407 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- David Bailey (1938-), Photographer and film-maker. Artist of 35 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
He is photographed here in the year he first played cockney spy, Harry Palmer in The Ipcress File (1965). Included in David Bailey's box of pin-ups (1965)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 223
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed (21 September 2002 - 27 April 2003)
Events of 1965back to top
Current affairsSir Winston Churchill dies after suffering a stroke at the age of 90. By Royal Decree his body lay in state for three days before he was given a State Funeral (a very rare honour for a non-Royal). Representatives from over 100 countries attended the funeral and thousands of people watched the procession of his coffin down the Thames.
Art and scienceJulie Christie stars in John Schlesinger's film Darling, a film that captures fashionable London in the 1960s, while critiquing the superficiality of the jet-setting society. The film has subsequently been itself criticised for being out-of-touch with the realities of the day.The Post Office Tower (now the BT tower) opens for use, housing microwave aerials to carry telecommunications traffic from London.
InternationalPresident Johnson sends US troops to assist South Vietnam against communist North Vietnam and domestic nationalist insurgents. Johnson's plan for a short, limited war was soon quashed by North Vietnam's strategy of protracted war. As the conflict dragged on the US government instituted a draft, sparking anti-war protests that would continue until American involvement ended in 1973.
Related shop items
- Bailey's Stardust (hardcover)
- Bailey Exposed (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed
- Michael Caine greetings card
- Bailey Box of Postcards