1 of 49 portraits of Mick Jagger
by David Bailey
bromide print, December 1964
16 1/8 in. x 16 in. (410 mm x 408 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Michael Philip ('Mick') Jagger (1943-), Singer and composer; lead vocalist for the Rolling Stones. Sitter in 49 portraits.
Artistback to top
- David Bailey (1938-), Photographer and film-maker. Artist of 35 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Taken for David Bailey's box of pin-ups (1965). Published on the back cover
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed (21 September 2002 - 27 April 2003)
Events of 1964back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson narrowly wins the general election for the Labour Party, the first of his four election victories.Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans become the last people to be executed in the United Kingdom before capital punishment was abolished in 1965.The Sun newspaper replaces the Daily Herald.
Art and scienceTop of the Pops begins its rein as the longest running television music show. The first broadcast was presented by Jimmy Savile and included the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, The Hollies and The Beatles, who were the show's first number 1 with I Want to Hold Your Hand.
InternationalThe Civil Rights Act is passed in the USA, outlawing discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex or national origin. The Act abolished the 'Jim Crow Laws' in the Southern States, making forced segregation illegal.After spending two years in prison Nelson Mandela is sentenced to Life in Prison for the crimes of sabotage and crimes equivalent to treason against the Republic of South Africa.
Exhibitions and displays
Related shop items
- Mick Jagger by David Wedgbury mounted print
- Bailey's Stardust (hardcover)
- Bailey Exposed (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed
- Bailey Box of Postcards