The British Naval Victors
1 portrait of John Jervis, Earl of St Vincent
The British Naval Victors
by Valentine Green, after Gainsborough Dupont, and after Francis Cotes, and after Richard Morton Paye, and after Lemuel Francis Abbott
mezzotint, published 1799
25 1/4 in. x 20 1/8 in. (640 mm x 510 mm) plate size; 25 5/8 in. x 20 7/8 in. (650 mm x 530 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Adam Duncan, 1st Viscount Duncan (1731-1804), Admiral. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Richard Howe, 1st Earl Howe (1726-1799), Admiral. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter in 85 portraits.
- John Jervis, Earl of St Vincent (1735-1823), Admiral. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Lemuel Francis Abbott (circa 1760-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 77 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Francis Cotes (1726-1770), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 89 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Gainsborough Dupont (1754-1797), Painter and mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Valentine Green (1739-1813), Mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 149 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Richard Morton Paye (baptised 1750-1821), Artist. Artist associated with 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This mezzotint by Valentine Green is dedicated to the King and celebrates Britain's longstanding naval supremacy under the watchful eye of God (seen on the top margin). Likenesses of the heroes Lord Nelson, the Earl of St Vincent, Earl Howe and Viscount Duncan, taken from popular contemporary paintings, are set among flourishing oak trees: the traditional symbol of steadfast England. The print is ornamented with elaborate swags of drapery commemorating the details of their glorious victories against the French between 1794 and 1798. Green had been official Mezzotint Engraver to George III since 1775, enjoying not only royal favour but also considerable commercial success through the production of such memorabilia.
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
- Viscount Nelson
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Changing Impressions: Engraving and the National Portrait Gallery Archive