1 portrait of Winifred Atwell
by David Wedgbury
cibachrome print, 1960
11 in. x 11 in. (280 mm x 280 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- David Wedgbury (1937-1998), Photographer. Artist of 36 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
David Wedgbury was the official photographer for Decca records' artists.
Events of 1960back to top
Current affairsPrince Andrew is born, the third child of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip.The Contraceptive Pill is introduced in England, dramatically changing the nation's approach to sex and relationships, and significantly contributing to the 1960s culture of liberation.
Art and sciencePenguin books defend D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover against charges of obscenity by demonstrating that the novel was of literary merit. The 'not guilty' verdict was seen as a victory for free speech and marked the beginning if a new era of liberalism.The satirical review Beyond the Fringe launches the careers of Alan Bennett, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and Jonathan Miller.
InternationalHarold Macmillan delivers his 'wind of change' speech to the South African Parliament in Cape Town, announcing Britain's decision to grant independence to many of her colonies. The speech recognised the emergence of African nationalism, and criticised the policy of Apartheid in South Africa.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Mick Jagger by David Wedgbury mounted print
- The Who (Pete Townshend; Keith Moon; Roger Daltrey; John Entwistle) by David Wedgbury mounted print
- John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers (John Mayall; John McVie; Hughie Flint) and Eric Patrick Clapton by David Wedgbury mounted print
- Eric Patrick Clapton by David Wedgbury mounted print
- The Animals (John Steel; Chas Chandler; Eric Victor Burdon; Dave Rowberry; Hilton Stewart Paterson Valentine) by David Wedgbury mounted print
- David Bowie by David Wedgbury mounted print