by David Wedgbury
resin print, 1964
10 1/2 in. x 10 1/2 in. (266 mm x 268 mm)
Given by David Wedgbury, 1994
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- David Wedgbury (1937-1998), Photographer. Artist of 36 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1964back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson narrowly wins the general election for the Labour Party, the first of his four election victories.Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans become the last people to be executed in the United Kingdom before capital punishment was abolished in 1965.The Sun newspaper replaces the Daily Herald.
Art and scienceTop of the Pops begins its rein as the longest running television music show. The first broadcast was presented by Jimmy Savile and included the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, The Hollies and The Beatles, who were the show's first number 1 with I Want to Hold Your Hand.
InternationalThe Civil Rights Act is passed in the USA, outlawing discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex or national origin. The Act abolished the 'Jim Crow Laws' in the Southern States, making forced segregation illegal.After spending two years in prison Nelson Mandela is sentenced to Life in Prison for the crimes of sabotage and crimes equivalent to treason against the Republic of South Africa.
Related shop items
- Mick Jagger by David Wedgbury mounted print
- The Who (Pete Townshend; Keith Moon; Roger Daltrey; John Entwistle) by David Wedgbury mounted print
- John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers (John Mayall; John McVie; Hughie Flint) and Eric Patrick Clapton by David Wedgbury mounted print
- Eric Patrick Clapton by David Wedgbury mounted print
- The Animals (John Steel; Chas Chandler; Eric Victor Burdon; Dave Rowberry; Hilton Stewart Paterson Valentine) by David Wedgbury mounted print
- David Bowie by David Wedgbury mounted print