1 portrait of Joseph Addison
by John Simon, published by John Smith, after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
13 7/8 in. x 10 in. (352 mm x 255 mm) plate size; 14 3/8 in. x 10 5/8 in. (365 mm x 270 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John Simon (1675-1751), Mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 213 portraits.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1680 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- John Smith (1652-1743), Engraver. Artist associated with 1180 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Lion and Crown, Russell Street, Covent Garden, London)
Events of 1708back to top
Current affairsJames II's son, James Stuart, mounts an unsuccessful invasion of Scotland with a French fleet, endeavouring to reclaim the throne.
Robert Harley, Duke of Oxford, having intrigued against the Duke of Marlborough and Earl of Godolphin, is dismissed from Parliament by Queen Anne.
Queen's consort, Prince George of Denmark dies.
Art and scienceThe overall construction of St. Paul's Cathedral is completed. Sir Christopher Wren's son and the Master Mason lay the last stone on the lantern in a 'topping out' ceremony.
InternationalThe allies' decisive victory against the French at the Battle of Oudenarde is principally due to William Cadogan, Earl of Cadogan's skilful deployment of an advance guard at opening stages of battle.
Minorca is captured from Spain by the Anglo-Dutch navy.
- Portrait of the Day: Isaac Newton
19 November, 12:30