13 of 20 portraits of Thomas Campbell
by John Burnet, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
line engraving, published 1828
11 1/8 in. x 8 1/8 in. (284 mm x 206 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Portrait of the Day: Caroline of Brunswick
10 December, 12:30