13 of 20 portraits of Thomas Campbell
by John Burnet, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
line engraving, published 1828
11 1/8 in. x 8 1/8 in. (284 mm x 206 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history