by Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern)
bromide print, 1938
3 1/4 in. x 3 1/8 in. (81 mm x 80 mm)
Given by Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern), 1999
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Virginia Woolf (née Stephen) (1882-1941), Novelist and critic; sister of Vanessa Bell. Sitter in 63 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern) (1912-1999), Writer. Artist associated with 9 portraits, Sitter in 58 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Spalding, Frances, Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 July 2014 - 26 October 2014), p. 170
Events of 1938back to top
Current affairsBritain pursues its policy of appeasement. At the Munich Agreement, Britain, France and Italy agreed to allow Hitler to seize the Sudetenland area of Czechoslovakia. The agreement was seen at the time as a triumph for peace, with Neville Chamberlain returning home brandishing the paper agreement and saying 'peace for our time.' Within six months Germany had occupied the rest of Czechoslovakia.
Art and scienceGraham Greene publishes Brighton Rock. The novel follows the decent of Pinky, a teenage gang leader in Brighton's criminal underworld. The book examines the criminal mind and explores the themes of morality and sin - recurrent concerns for the Roman Catholic Author. Glasgow hosts the Empire Exhibition; an £11 million celebration of the British Empire visited by 13 million people.
InternationalIn its pursuit of 'Lebensraum' (living space), Germany annexes Austria and parts of Czechoslovakia with little opposition from the League of Nations. At home, the Nazis continued their escalating persecution of the Jews with 'Kristallnach' (the Night of Broken Glass), attacking Jewish homes, shops, businesses and synagogues, and taking Jewish men to concentration camps.
Related shop items
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- The Bloomsbury Group Companion
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Mini-print
- Virginia Woolf Fridge Magnet
- Virginia Woolf Cushion
- Virginia Woolf Bronze Bust
- Virginia Woolf Wild Horse Necklace
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Postcards