1 portrait of Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow
by James Gillray, published by Samuel William Fores
hand-coloured etching and aquatint, published 9 March 1788
6 3/8 in. x 5 7/8 in. (162 mm x 149 mm) plate size; 7 in. x 6 1/2 in. (179 mm x 166 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 183 portraits.
- Warren Hastings (1732-1818), Governor-General of India. Sitter associated with 46 portraits.
- Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818), Queen consort of George III. Sitter associated with 83 portraits.
- Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow (1731-1806), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 37 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1788back to top
Current affairsParliament begins an investigation into the slave trade, led by reformers Thomas Clarkson and William Wilberforce.Regency Crisis; George III's madness is announced provoking a political storm. Former Governor-General of Bengal Warren Hastings' trial begins before the House of Lords.Henry Benedict Stuart becomes the new Stuart claimant to the British throne.
Art and scienceArtist Thomas Gainsborough dies. First edition of The Times newspaper is published in London.Scottish engineer and inventor William Symington demonstrates the first paddle steamer on Dalswinton Loch near Dumfries.Robert Burns writes his version of the Scots poem Auld Lang Syne.
InternationalMinisters of the French King, Louis XVI, reluctantly announce that the Estates General will meet the following year, for the first time since 1614. United States constitution comes into force when New Hampshire becomes the ninth state to ratify it. First Fleet reaches Australia, anchoring in Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip, selecting a suitable site for the first Australian penal colony, names the place Sydney Cove.
Related shop items
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- Companion Series: The Romantic Poets and their Circle
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Kings and Queens of England Mug