19 of 36 portraits of Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow
by James Gillray, published by Samuel William Fores
hand-coloured etching, published 16 May 1788
13 3/4 in. x 9 3/4 in. (349 mm x 248 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Alexander Hood, 1st Viscount Bridport (1726-1814), Admiral. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Edmund Burke (1729 or 1730-1797), Statesman. Sitter associated with 103 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 299 portraits.
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 183 portraits.
- Warren Hastings (1732-1818), Governor-General of India. Sitter associated with 46 portraits.
- William Petty, 1st Marquess of Lansdowne (1737-1805), Prime Minister and patron of the arts. Sitter associated with 66 portraits.
- Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville (1742-1811), Statesman. Sitter associated with 80 portraits.
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 168 portraits.
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 163 portraits.
- Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818), Queen consort of George III. Sitter associated with 82 portraits.
- Thomas Townshend, 1st Viscount Sydney (1733-1800), Statesman. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow (1731-1806), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 36 portraits.
- John Wilkes (1725-1797), Journalist, agitator and politician; MP for Aylesbury and Middlesex. Sitter associated with 49 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Exhibitions and displays
- Simon Schama’s Face of Britain
Until 4 January 2016