© National Portrait Gallery, London
'A Hackney meeting'
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured etching, published 1 February 1796
9 3/4 in. x 9 3/4 in. (247 mm x 248 mm) plate size; 14 1/8 in. x 10 1/8 in. (360 mm x 256 mm) paper size
- George Byng (1764-1847), Politician; MP for Middlesex. Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 299 portraits.
- William Mainwaring (1735-1821), Politician; MP for Middlesex. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- James Gillray (1756-1815), Caricaturist. Artist associated with 881 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Hannah Humphrey (active 1778-1822), Publisher and printseller. Artist associated with 718 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Birth of Princess Charlotte, only child of George, Prince of Wales and Princess Caroline whose marriage soon quickly and publicly degenerates.
Art and science
Fanny Burney publishes Camilla
, one of several influential novels exploring social misunderstanding and the fashionable mode of sensibility.Architect William Chambers completes the building of Somerset House.Collector William Beckford, the richest man in England, begins construction of his gothic fantasy Fonthill Abbey.
Napoleon Bonaparte assumes command of the French armies in Italy and defeats the Austrians at Millesimo and the Piedmontese at Mondovi.Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, arrives in India as a colonel.John Adams is elected President of the United States, defeating Thomas Jefferson by three votes.