by Francis Place, published by John Smith, after Gilbert Soest
mezzotint, circa 1693
10 3/8 in. x 8 1/4 in. (265 mm x 210 mm) plate size; with 5 mm margins
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford, 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Richard Tompson (died 1693), Publisher and printseller; auctioneer and dealer. Sitter in 2 portraits, Artist associated with 116 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Francis Place (1647-1728), Printmaker and potter. Artist associated with 18 portraits.
- John Smith (1652-1743), Engraver. Artist associated with 1178 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Gilbert Soest (circa 1605-1681), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 51 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson (8 November 2003 - 12 April 2004)