© National Portrait Gallery, London
'A philosopher, - Conduit Street' (Joseph Priestley (in portrait); Adam Walker)
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured etching, published 28 March 1796
9 1/2 in. x 7 1/8 in. (240 mm x 180 mm) paper size
- Joseph Priestley (1733-1804), Theologian and scientist. Sitter in 27 portraits.
- Adam Walker (1731-1821), Inventor and writer. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- James Gillray (1756-1815), Caricaturist. Artist associated with 881 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Hannah Humphrey (active 1778-1822), Publisher and printseller. Artist associated with 718 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- NPG D14797: 'A philosopher, - Conduit Street' (Joseph Priestley (in portrait); Adam Walker) (from same plate)
Birth of Princess Charlotte, only child of George, Prince of Wales and Princess Caroline whose marriage soon quickly and publicly degenerates.
Art and science
Fanny Burney publishes Camilla
, one of several influential novels exploring social misunderstanding and the fashionable mode of sensibility.Architect William Chambers completes the building of Somerset House.Collector William Beckford, the richest man in England, begins construction of his gothic fantasy Fonthill Abbey.
Napoleon Bonaparte assumes command of the French armies in Italy and defeats the Austrians at Millesimo and the Piedmontese at Mondovi.Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, arrives in India as a colonel.John Adams is elected President of the United States, defeating Thomas Jefferson by three votes.