© National Portrait Gallery, London
George Walpole ('Mars')
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured etching, published 7 May 1799
9 3/4 in. x 7 7/8 in. (248 mm x 201 mm) plate size; 11 3/8 in. x 9 in. (288 mm x 228 mm) paper size
- James Gillray (1756-1815), Caricaturist. Artist associated with 881 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Hannah Humphrey (active 1778-1822), Publisher and printseller. Artist associated with 718 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- NPG D12685: 'New Pantheon of Democratic Mythology' (from same series as)
- NPG D12686: Charles James Fox ('Hercules reposing') (from same series as)
- NPG D12688: 'Harpyes defiling the feast' (George Tierney; George Shuckburgh; Joseph Jekyll) (from same series as)
- NPG D12689: John Nicolls ('Cupid') (from same series as)
- NPG D12690: 'The twin stars, Castor & Pollux' (George Barclay?; Charles Sturt?) (from same series as)
- NPG D12691: Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford ('The affrighted centaur, & lion Britanique') (from same series as)
The Prince of Wales is reconciled with his secret wife Maria Fitzherbert.Corresponding Societies Act is passed prohibiting certain named political groups including the radical London Corresponding Society and the United Irishmen.
Art and science
The Swiss artist Henry Fuseli, resident in England since 1778, is appointed Professor of Painting at the Royal Academy.The conservative educator Hannah More publishes her Strictures on Female Education
which criticised demands for women's rights while proposing an active role for them within religious and moral movements.
Successful defence of Acre in the Levant is led by William Sidney Smith.British expedition to Holland, led by General Ralph Abercromby, ends in evacuation after allies defeated at Battle of Bergen-op-Zoom. Fall of the ruling Directory in France. Napoleon seizes power.The Rosetta Stone is discovered in Egypt.