© National Portrait Gallery, London
Elizabeth Billington (née Weichsel) ('A bravura air mandane')
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured etching and stipple engraving, published 22 December 1801
14 in. x 9 7/8 in. (355 mm x 252 mm) plate size; 14 1/2 in. x 10 1/4 in. (367 mm x 259 mm) paper size
- James Gillray (1756-1815), Caricaturist. Artist associated with 881 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Hannah Humphrey (active 1778-1822), Publisher and printseller. Artist associated with 718 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- NPG D1066: Elizabeth Billington (née Weichsel) ('A bravura air mandane') (from same plate)
- NPG D1067: Elizabeth Billington (née Weichsel) ('A bravura air mandane') (from same plate)
- Perry, Gill (introduction) Roach, Joseph (appreciation) and West, Shearer (appreciation), The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 2011 to 8 January 2012), p. 91
Wlliam Pitt and Lord Castlereagh both resign over the King's refusal to permit the introduction of Catholic emancipation. Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth succeeds Pitt as Prime Minister.Census records 9 million people living in England and Wales, 5.2 million in Ireland and 1.6 million in Scotland.
Art and science
Radical writer, Amelia Opie publishes her best known novel The Father and the Daughter
. Said to have reduced Walter Scott to tears, it went on to enjoy success as an opera and a play.
Other members of the First Coalition fighting France with Britain agree to a humiliating peace treaty and Britain fights on alone.A successful campaign is fought against the French army marooned in Egypt. General Sir Ralph Abercromby leads the troops but is killed in action. Thomas Jefferson is elected President of the United States.