© National Portrait Gallery, London
'The first kiss this ten years! - or - the meeting of Britannia and Citizen François'
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured etching, soft-ground etching and aquatint, published 1 January 1803
14 in. x 10 in. (355 mm x 254 mm) plate size; 14 1/2 in. x 10 1/2 in. (368 mm x 268 mm) paper size
- Britannia, Allegory of a nation, emblem of empire, and patriotic icon. Sitter associated with 8 portraits.
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 183 portraits.
- Napoléon Bonaparte (1769-1821), Emperor of France 1804-14. Sitter associated with 86 portraits.
- James Gillray (1756-1815), Caricaturist. Artist associated with 881 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Hannah Humphrey (active 1778-1822), Publisher and printseller. Artist associated with 718 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
The Vice Society is formally established by John Reeves and his associates to campaign against blasphemy and immorality, particularly that perpetrated by Thomas Paine and the Edinburgh Review
Art and science
Erasmus Darwin's Temple of Nature
published posthumously. A scientific treaty in the form of an elaborate couplet poem, its content anticipated some of the evolutionary ideas developed by his grandson, Charles Darwin, fifty years later. Construction of the Caledonian Canal begins.
War with France resumes, sparking new fears of a cross-channel invasion.United Irishman, Robert Emmett's attempted uprising in Dublin. Planned to coincide with Napoleon's expected invasion, it aimed to overthrow the English administration but ended in failure. Emmett is hanged along with several other conspirators.