18 of 44 portraits of Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching, published 20 November 1804
10 in. x 14 in. (254 mm x 356 mm) plate size; 10 3/8 in. x 14 5/8 in. (264 mm x 371 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 183 portraits.
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 196 portraits.
- Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings (1754-1826), Army officer and Politician, Governor-General of India. Sitter in 44 portraits.
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 168 portraits.
- Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818), Queen consort of George III. Sitter associated with 83 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1804back to top
Current affairsWilliam Pitt returns to office and forms a second coalition administration, retaining many of those who had served under his predecessor Henry Addington but specifically excluding his arch rival Charles James Fox .
Art and scienceWilliam Blake starts writing Jerusalem. One of his most ambitious allegorical poems, it took nearly eight years to complete. Amidst infighting about submissions to the annual exhibition, attempts are made to unseat painter Benjamin West as President of the Royal Academy and elect architect James Wyatt instead.
InternationalNapoleon declares himself Emperor of France and is crowned as Napoleon I by Pope Pius VII in Paris. Haiti achieves independence led by Toussaint L'Ouverture, the patriot and martyr who had seized control from the French in 1801. He becomes a symbolic figure of freedom for the British anti-slavery movement.
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- Companion Series: The Romantic Poets and their Circle
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Prime Ministers Mug