18 of 24 portraits of Maria Anne Fitzherbert (née Smythe)
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching and aquatint, published 22 April 1805
14 3/4 in. x 10 3/8 in. (375 mm x 265 mm) plate size; 15 1/2 in. x 10 7/8 in. (395 mm x 275 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 113 portraits.
- Frederick Howard, 5th Earl of Carlisle (1748-1825), Statesman. Sitter associated with 26 portraits.
- Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales (1796-1817), Daughter of George IV. Sitter associated with 48 portraits.
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), Sportsman and patron of horse-racing. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
- Thomas Erskine, 1st Baron Erskine (1750-1823), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 67 portraits.
- Maria Anne Fitzherbert (née Smythe) (1756-1837), Famous beauty; morganatic wife of George IV. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 299 portraits.
- William Wyndham Grenville, 1st Baron Grenville (1759-1834), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 67 portraits.
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 166 portraits.
- Charles Howard, 11th Duke of Norfolk (1746-1815), MP. Sitter associated with 55 portraits.
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 162 portraits.
- Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl Stanhope (1753-1816), Politician and scientist. Sitter associated with 45 portraits.