'Visiting the sick'
9 of 39 portraits of Richard Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Chandos
'Visiting the sick'
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching and aquatint, published 28 July 1806
10 3/8 in. x 14 1/4 in. (263 mm x 363 mm) plate size; 11 1/4 in. x 15 1/4 in. (285 mm x 387 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Richard Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1776-1839), Statesman and print collector. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- George Nugent Temple Grenville, 1st Marquess of Buckingham (1753-1813), Politician; MP for Buckinghamshire and Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs. Sitter in 33 portraits.
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), Sportsman and patron of horse-racing. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
- Maria Anne Fitzherbert (née Smythe) (1756-1837), Famous beauty; morganatic wife of George IV. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 299 portraits.
- Elizabeth Bridget Fox (née Cane) (1750-1842), Courtesan; wife of Charles James Fox. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 182 portraits.
- William Wyndham Grenville, 1st Baron Grenville (1759-1834), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 67 portraits.
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 166 portraits.
- Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings (1754-1826), Army officer and Politician, Governor-General of India. Sitter in 44 portraits.
- Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice, 3rd Marquess of Lansdowne (1780-1863), Politician, Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Lord President of the Council. Sitter associated with 73 portraits.
- Thomas Lewis O'Beirne (1748-1823), Bishop of Meath. Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 162 portraits.
- Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth (1757-1844), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 66 portraits.
- Hon. William Windham (1750-1810), Politician; Secretary at War. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
Exhibitions and displays
- Painting Parliament: The Fine Arts Commission 1841 – 1863
Until 10 May 2015