© National Portrait Gallery, London
'Triumphal procession of little-Paul-the taylor upon his new-goose'
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured etching, published 8 November 1806
9 5/8 in. x 13 3/4 in. (246 mm x 348 mm) plate size; 10 1/2 in. x 14 5/8 in. (267 mm x 371 mm) paper size
- William Bosville (1745-1813), Bon vivant. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 118 portraits.
- William Cobbett (1763-1835), Journalist, agriculturalist and politician; MP for Oldham. Sitter associated with 55 portraits.
- James Paull (1770-1808), Politician; MP for Isle of Wight. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- John Horne Tooke (1736-1812), Radical politician; MP and philologist. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
- James Gillray (1756-1815), Caricaturist. Artist associated with 881 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Hannah Humphrey (active 1778-1822), Publisher and printseller. Artist associated with 718 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
William Pitt dies in January and his lifelong opponent Charles James Fox dies in September. Pitt is succeeded by William Wyndham, Baron Grenville, who forms the 'Ministry of all the Talents' coalition .Prince of Wales instigates the 'Delicate Investigation'; a Parliamentary enquiry into claims that his wife Caroline had an illegitimate child.
Art and science
John Constable embarks on a formative tour of the Lakes and makes landscape studies of the Langdale Pikes and Helvellyn.Turner exhibits his Thames views to acclaim at his own London gallery.Humphrey Davy discovers the elements potassium and sodium by passing an electrical current through molten compounds.
Soprano Angelica Catalani arrives from Italy to make her London debut, amazing audiences with her showpiece arias.Napoleon turns his forces east against Austria, Russia and Prussia and enjoys a wave of French victories.British attack on Buenos Aires under General William Beresford fails.