3 of 14 portraits of Richard Pepper Arden, 1st Baron Alvanley
by James Gillray, published by Samuel William Fores
hand-coloured etching, published 10 May 1787
16 1/2 in. x 21 3/8 in. (420 mm x 543 mm) plate size; 16 3/4 in. x 21 7/8 in. (427 mm x 556 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Richard Pepper Arden, 1st Baron Alvanley (1744-1804), Judge. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Ashbridge (active 1787), Musician. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Isaac Barré (1726-1802), Soldier and politician; MP for Wycombe and Calne. Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- Joah Bates (1741-1799), Musician. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 299 portraits.
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 184 portraits.
- Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford (1732-1792), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
- Elizabeth Jeffries, Maid of honour to Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- William Petty, 1st Marquess of Lansdowne (1737-1805), Prime Minister and patron of the arts. Sitter associated with 67 portraits.
- Sir Archibald MacDonald, 1st Bt (1747-1826), Judge and politician. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Gertrude (Gertrud) Elizabeth Mara (née Schmeling) (1749-1833), Soprano. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Joseph Mawbey, 1st Bt (1730-1798), Politician and distiller. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville (1742-1811), Statesman. Sitter associated with 80 portraits.
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 168 portraits.
- Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (1735-1806), Field Marshal, ambassador to France and politician, Secretary of State for the Southern Department. Sitter in 27 portraits.
- Alexander Wedderburn, 1st Earl of Rosslyn (Lord Loughborough) (1733-1805), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
- Juliana Elizabeth Schwellenberg (circa 1728-circa 1797), Keeper of the Robes to the Queen. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818), Queen consort of George III. Sitter associated with 83 portraits.
- Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow (1731-1806), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 37 portraits.
- Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, 4th Bt (1749-1789), Welsh politician and patron of the arts. Sitter in 9 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1787back to top
Current affairsSocial reformers Granville Sharp and Thomas Clarkson found the Society for Effecting the Abolition of the Slave Trade in London with support from John Wesley, Josiah Wedgwood and others.
George III shows first signs of mental instability in November.
Art and sciencePainter Robert Barker takes out a patent on the Panorama..
Astronomer William Herschel discovers the two moons of Uranus, Titania and Oberon.
The original Lord's Cricket Ground holds its first cricket match.
InternationalCaptain William Bligh sets sail for Tahiti on The Bounty.
First performance of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Don Giovanni at the National Theatre, Prague.
A British ship lands a party of freed slaves as the first modern settlers in Sierra Leone.
Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth with eleven ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.
Bahamas become a British colony.