1 of 5 portraits of Joah Bates
by James Gillray, published by Samuel William Fores
hand-coloured etching, published 10 May 1787
16 1/2 in. x 21 3/8 in. (420 mm x 543 mm) plate size; 16 3/4 in. x 21 7/8 in. (427 mm x 556 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Richard Pepper Arden, 1st Baron Alvanley (1744-1804), Judge. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Ashbridge (active 1787), Musician. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Isaac Barré (1726-1802), Soldier and politician; MP for Wycombe and Calne. Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- Joah Bates (1741-1799), Musician. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 299 portraits.
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 183 portraits.
- Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford (1732-1792), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
- Elizabeth Jeffries, Maid of honour to Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- William Petty, 1st Marquess of Lansdowne (1737-1805), Prime Minister and patron of the arts. Sitter associated with 67 portraits.
- Sir Archibald MacDonald, 1st Bt (1747-1826), Judge and politician. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Gertrude (Gertrud) Elizabeth Mara (née Schmeling) (1749-1833), Singer. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Joseph Mawbey, 1st Bt (1730-1798), Politician and distiller. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville (1742-1811), Statesman. Sitter associated with 80 portraits.
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 168 portraits.
- Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (1735-1806), Field Marshal, ambassador to France and politician, Secretary of State for the Southern Department. Sitter in 27 portraits.
- Alexander Wedderburn, 1st Earl of Rosslyn (Lord Loughborough) (1733-1805), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
- Juliana Elizabeth Schwellenberg, Keeper of the Robes to the Queen. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818), Queen consort of George III. Sitter associated with 83 portraits.
- Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow (1731-1806), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 37 portraits.
- Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, 4th Bt (1749-1789), Welsh politician and patron of the arts. Sitter in 9 portraits.