7 of 39 portraits of Edward Law, 1st Earl of Ellenborough
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching, engraving and aquatint, published 22 March 1808
13 1/2 in. x 14 7/8 in. (342 mm x 377 mm) plate size; 13 3/4 in. x 15 1/2 in. (348 mm x 392 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford (1766-1839), Landowner; Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland. Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
- Richard Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1776-1839), Statesman and print collector. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- George Canning (1770-1827), Prime Minister. Sitter in 47 portraits.
- Frederick Howard, 5th Earl of Carlisle (1748-1825), Politician and diplomat. Sitter associated with 26 portraits.
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), Sportsman and patron of horse-racing. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
- John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon (1751-1838), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 93 portraits.
- Edward Law, 1st Earl of Ellenborough (1790-1871), Politician, President of the Board of Control and Governor-General of India. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- Thomas Erskine, 1st Baron Erskine (1750-1823), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 67 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 299 portraits.
- Augustus Henry Fitzroy, 3rd Duke of Grafton (1735-1811), Prime Minister. Sitter in 26 portraits.
- William Wyndham Grenville, 1st Baron Grenville (1759-1834), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 67 portraits.
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 175 portraits.
- Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings (1754-1826), Army officer and Politician, Governor-General of India. Sitter in 44 portraits.
- Henry Richard Fox (later Vassall), 3rd Baron Holland (1773-1840), Whig statesman and patron of art and letters. Sitter associated with 54 portraits.
- Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice, 3rd Marquess of Lansdowne (1780-1863), Whig politician; Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Lord President of the Council. Sitter associated with 75 portraits.
- James Maitland, 8th Earl of Lauderdale (1759-1839), Scottish politician and author of 'Inquiry into the Nature and Origin of Public Wealth'. Sitter associated with 35 portraits.
- Robert Jenkinson, 2nd Earl of Liverpool (1770-1828), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
- Robert Stewart, 2nd Marquess of Londonderry (Lord Castlereagh) (1769-1822), Statesman. Sitter associated with 45 portraits.
- Napoléon Bonaparte (1769-1821), Emperor of France 1804-14. Sitter associated with 86 portraits.
- Charles Howard, 11th Duke of Norfolk (1746-1815), Politician; MP for Carlise and Arundel. Sitter associated with 55 portraits.
- Spencer Perceval (1762-1812), Prime Minister. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 168 portraits.
- John Jervis, Earl of St Vincent (1735-1823), Admiral. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 164 portraits.
- Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth (1757-1844), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 70 portraits.
- George John Spencer, 2nd Earl Spencer (1758-1834), First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl Stanhope (1753-1816), Scientist and politician; MP for Wycombe. Sitter associated with 46 portraits.
- George Tierney (1761-1830), Politician; MP for Southwark and Knaresborough. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
- Samuel Whitbread (1756-1815), Politician and brewer. Sitter associated with 21 portraits.
- Hon. William Windham (1750-1810), Politician; Secretary at War. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.