4 of 5 portraits of Lewis Morley
by Peter Everard Smith
resin print, 13 May 1970
11 1/4 in. x 7 3/8 in. (285 mm x 187 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Lewis Morley (1925-2013), Photographer. Sitter in 5 portraits, Artist of 303 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Peter Everard Smith (1943-), Photographer. Artist of 8 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Whitaker, Robert, Beatles to Bowie: the 60s exposed, 2009 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 15 October 2009 - 24 January 2010), p. 198
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Beatles to Bowie: the 60s exposed (15 October 2009 - 24 January 2010)
Events of 1970back to top
Current affairsEdward 'Ted' Heath wins a surprise victory for the Conservative party at the general election, becoming Prime Minister. Opinion polls had predicted a comfortable Labour victory, but with a failing economy, the Tories snatched a narrow last minute majority.
Art and scienceGermaine Greer publishes The Female Eunuch, an influential feminist text arguing that women's sexuality and capacity for action are repressed by the family and their roles in society. Greer suggested that women should get to know their bodies and become empowered by their sexuality. The book was an international best seller.
InternationalFour aircraft are hijacked by Palestinian terrorists. The planes were landed in Cairo, Jordan and London and the hijackers demanded the release of Political Prisoners in exchange for the hostages. Several prisoners were returned and three of the planes were blown up after most of the hostages were release.Four students are shot dead by national guardsmen during a protest against the Vietnam War in America.
Exhibitions and displays
- Lewis Morley ‘Mammoth’ Prints
Until 20 November