1 portrait of Mick Jagger
by Cecil Beaton
bromide print on white card mount, 1967
4 5/8 in. x 7 3/8 in. (118 mm x 187 mm)
Given by Sir Cecil Beaton, 1972
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Michael Philip ('Mick') Jagger (1943-), Singer and composer; lead vocalist for the Rolling Stones. Sitter in 49 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1088 portraits, Sitter associated with 354 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The Gallery's holdings of portraits of Mick Jagger, began with this gift from Cecil Beaton of his portrait of Jagger taken in Morocco in 1967. Beaton wrote in his diary: 'At last an opportunity to photograph one of the most elusive people, whom I admire and am fascinated by, not determined whether he is beautiful or hideous.' Beaton added: 'Mick talked of the struggles to success...and now it had come...He would like a house somewhere with thirty acres. They'd worked so hard.' (Beaton in the Sixties: More Unexpurgated Diaries, Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2003)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 1967back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson decides to devalue the pound by nearly 15% in order to ' break out from the straitjacket' of boom and bust economics. The decision was controversial and prompted Wilson to reassure the public that the 'pound in your pocket' would not be worth any less.
Art and scienceThe Beatles release Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with a record sleeve designed by pop artist, Peter Blake. The band's musical experimentation and colourful new look was an example of psychedelic, and the LP is often regarded as one of the first concept albums.
InternationalChe Guevara is captured and executed in Bolivia. The guerrilla leader and revolutionary icon was hunted down by the CIA and captured and shot by Bolivian Special Forces. He had been leading Bolivian insurgents in an attempt to overthrow the government.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October 2017
Related shop items
- Mick Jagger by David Wedgbury mounted print
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed
- Irving Penn Portraits
- Audrey Hepburn by Sir Cecil Beaton Postcards