© National Portrait Gallery, London
William Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire
by Richard Dighton, published by Thomas McLean Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured etching, published 1825
3 3/8 in. x 2 5/8 in. (86 mm x 67 mm) paper size
- Richard Dighton (1795-1880), Portrait painter and caricaturist. Artist associated with 300 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 952 portraits.
- NPG D8736: William Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire ('A view of Devonshire') (reduced version)
- NPG D8757: William Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire (reduced version)
- NPG D13513: William Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire (reduced version)
Strikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year. Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and science
Construction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age
; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
Beethoven's Ninth Symphony
premieres in London. John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.