10 of 47 portraits of David Hockney
by Cecil Beaton
bromide print on card mount, March 1965
9 1/2 in. x 8 1/2 in. (242 mm x 217 mm)
Given by Sir Cecil Beaton, 1968
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 47 portraits, Artist associated with 12 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1087 portraits, Sitter associated with 353 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Wiltshire (Reddish House, Broadchalke, Wiltshire)
Events of 1965back to top
Current affairsSir Winston Churchill dies after suffering a stroke at the age of 90. By Royal Decree his body lay in state for three days before he was given a State Funeral (a very rare honour for a non-Royal). Representatives from over 100 countries attended the funeral and thousands of people watched the procession of his coffin down the Thames.
Art and scienceJulie Christie stars in John Schlesinger's film Darling, a film that captures fashionable London in the 1960s, while critiquing the superficiality of the jet-setting society. The film has subsequently been itself criticised for being out-of-touch with the realities of the day.The Post Office Tower (now the BT tower) opens for use, housing microwave aerials to carry telecommunications traffic from London.
InternationalPresident Johnson sends US troops to assist South Vietnam against communist North Vietnam and domestic nationalist insurgents. Johnson's plan for a short, limited war was soon quashed by North Vietnam's strategy of protracted war. As the conflict dragged on the US government instituted a draft, sparking anti-war protests that would continue until American involvement ended in 1973.
- David Hockney Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Cecil Beaton Portraits
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Learn more
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- The Royal Ballet at 75