Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II
by John Swannell
digital colour print, November 2001
11 3/4 in. x 9 5/8 in. (300 mm x 245 mm)
Given by John Swannell, 2002
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Swannell (1946-), Photographer. Artist of 128 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee (1 June 2002 - 9 February 2003)
Events of 2001back to top
Current affairsLabour wins a second landslide general election victory campaigning on improvements to public services based on private finance projects. The Conservative party proved itself to be out-of-touch by ignoring public services and campaigning on the issue of Britain's membership of the EU. The day after the election William Hague resigned as leader of the Conservative Party.
Art and scienceThe Eden Project opens in Cornwall. The eco-centre, conceived by Tim Smit, replicates tropical and temporal climates and houses plants from all over the world in two domed biomes. The project is both a large-scale scientific experiment to study the environmental changes in different biomes over time, and a visitor attraction teaching the public about the natural environment.
InternationalOn 11th September (9/11) America comes under foreign attack for the first time since Pearl Harbour when Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists hijack four planes, flying two into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre, and one into the Pentagon; the forth plane crashed in a field.George Bush launches his 'War on Terror' by invading Afghanistan to overthrown the Taliban and capture Osama bin Laden, leader of al-Qaeda.
Exhibitions and displays
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits (paperback)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Strong Box
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust
- Kings and Queens of England Mug