12 of 47 portraits of David Hockney
by Lord Snowdon
bromide fibre print, 1965
14 3/8 in. x 10 3/4 in. (364 mm x 274 mm)
Given by Antony Charles Robert Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, 1995
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 47 portraits, Artist associated with 12 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lord Snowdon (1930-), Photographer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 276 portraits, Sitter in 17 portraits.
Events of 1965back to top
Current affairsSir Winston Churchill dies after suffering a stroke at the age of 90. By Royal Decree his body lay in state for three days before he was given a State Funeral (a very rare honour for a non-Royal). Representatives from over 100 countries attended the funeral and thousands of people watched the procession of his coffin down the Thames.
Art and scienceJulie Christie stars in John Schlesinger's film Darling, a film that captures fashionable London in the 1960s, while critiquing the superficiality of the jet-setting society. The film has subsequently been itself criticised for being out-of-touch with the realities of the day.The Post Office Tower (now the BT tower) opens for use, housing microwave aerials to carry telecommunications traffic from London.
InternationalPresident Johnson sends US troops to assist South Vietnam against communist North Vietnam and domestic nationalist insurgents. Johnson's plan for a short, limited war was soon quashed by North Vietnam's strategy of protracted war. As the conflict dragged on the US government instituted a draft, sparking anti-war protests that would continue until American involvement ended in 1973.
- David Hockney Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Photographs by Snowdon: A Retrospective
- Private View
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- The Beautiful and the Damned