Sir Joshua Reynolds
1 portrait of Sir Joshua Reynolds
Sir Joshua Reynolds
by Henry Meyer, published by T. Cadell & W. Davies, after Moses Haughton the Younger, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
stipple engraving, published 8 May 1809 (1780)
14 1/4 in. x 11 3/8 in. (363 mm x 290 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Sitter associated with 38 portraits, Artist associated with 1413 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- T. Cadell & W. Davies (active 1795-1817), Publishers. Artist associated with 234 portraits.
- Moses Haughton the Younger (1773-1849), Miniature painter and engraver. Artist associated with 9 portraits.
- Henry Meyer (1782?-1847), Portrait painter and engraver. Artist associated with 279 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
Events of 1809back to top
Current affairsDuke of Portland resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Spencer Perceval.
Motion for parliamentary reform is defeated in the House of Commons.
Notorious duel between George Canning and Viscount Castlereagh over strategic failures against Napoleon.
Art and scienceMaria Edgeworth publishes Tales of Fashionable Life, a popular and perceptive series of stories exploring Anglo-Irish society after the Union.
Robert Smirke completes the New Covent Garden Theatre after fire. 'Old Price' theatre riots quickly break out against rising cost of admission.
Pall Mall in London is lit by gas for the first time.
InternationalBritish army lands in Lisbon and defeats the French at Talavera. Arthur Wellesley is created Viscount Wellington as a result of this victory.
Walcheren expedition led by General Chatham, which aimed to take Antwerp, fails amidst allegations of military corruption and carnage.
James Madison is elected President of the United States.